Perth campus – Admissions-Southern Cross University

Perth campus

The latest addition to our network of campuses, SCU Perth offers the chance to study in the more calm and laid back environment Australia is known for, at a pace that is right for you. One of Australia's most picturesque cities, with huge inner city parks and glorious beaches, Perth is a great option if you want to attain an internationally recognised degree in a city full of opportunities. The campus is located on Hay Street in the central business district in East Perth. It is not far from Kings Park, one of the largest inner-city parks in the world, and the Swan River, where students can take a ferry to other locations around the city. The Perth campus will be offering postgraduate courses for students looking to build upon their existing undergraduate degree or wanting to take their career in a new direction.

Facilities and learning resources

Southern Cross Perth provides students with modern, well-equipped teaching spaces and classrooms. Contemporary audio-visual equipment is standard in most teaching venues, and students have access to computer labs for individual study.

Learning resources
All students are provided with access to a range of internet and computing services. These include:

My Enrolment
MySCU – your University online
Library catalogues and electronic resources
Your own SCU email address
On-campus computing labs.
MySCU is available to all Southern Cross University students through a password login. All new students receive user name and password when they receive their offer of enrolment. Simply select the MySCU Details tab within My Enrolment.

MySCU is a personalised web-based portal to a range of online resources:

The Learning Management System
Blackboard Learn, your online access to unit resources, communications and collaboration
The library and its electronic databases and catalogues
Student administration services including My Enrolment
Access to timetables for lectures and exams
The latest University news and events happening around the campuses and beyond

Students at our Perth campus have electronic access to Southern Cross University’s extensive library and are entitled to reciprocal borrowing rights with most Perth universities.

Expenses and transportation

Most international students will arrive in Perth via Perth Airport. There are several transport options to take you to and from the domestic and international terminals.

Visit Perth is full of information about life and events in the city.

Perth’s public transport network includes buses and trains, servicing the city and suburbs. Learn more at Transperth.

Living in Perth
The Department of Home Affairs has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa for Australia. As of October 2019, the 12-month living costs are:

For students or guardians – AUD$21,041
For partners coming with you – AUD$7,362
For a child coming with you – AUD$3,152
Refer to the step-by-step Student Visa Subclass 500 application and Document Checklist Tool for details on how to provide the evidence required to cover the costs of your stay, including your travel, study and living expenses.

Additional expenses
Students may need to purchase or access prescribed textbooks. Southern Cross University recommends that students budget AUD$600 per year to cover costs for textbooks, stationery and other sundry costs. The costs of books vary depending on your program. At a minimum, it is advisable to buy the core textbooks suggested by your lecturers and reading lists.

Accommodation and entertainment

There is a lot to consider when planning accommodation in a new country. The Australian Government provides helpful tips about searching for accommodation.

Entertainment in Perth caters to a wide range of budgets and tastes. Perth hosts many major events, starting with the Perth International Arts Festival in January-February each year. Another great website is Experience Perth for more information about activities throughout the year.

For more information about studying and living in Australia, go to the Australian Government’s Study in Australia website.